Firearms Safety Depends on You
Here are 10 basics of gun handling that you must know, courtesy of the National Shooting Sports Foundation (NSSF):
- 1. Always keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction.
- 2. Firearms should be unloaded when not actually in use.
- 3. Don’t rely on your gun’s “Safety.”
- 4. Be sure of your target and what’s beyond it.
- 5. Use correct ammunition.
- 6. If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, handle with care!
- 7. Always wear eye and ear protection when shooting.
- 8. Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before shooting.
- 9. Don’t alter or modify your gun, and have guns serviced regularly.
- 10. Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the firearm you are using.
NSSF has developed a booklet that explains each of these gun safety rules in detail. You can view or download it here.
NSSF also offers other safety literature for use by individuals, families, or shooting teams. You can find it at www.nssf.org/safety/lit/.